Where is the white-naped crane found?

The white-naped crane (Grus vipio) is a species of crane found in parts of Asia. The white-naped crane is one of the larger cranes standing about 1.5 m (4.9 ft) tall and weighing 4–7 kg (8.8–15.4 lb). It has a white head with a red crown and a long neck and bill. The body plumage is grey with black wingtips. The legs are pinkish-grey. Juveniles have browner plumage and lack the red crown. There are two subspecies G. v. vipio and G. v. Asiatica. The former occurs in Russia, Mongolia, and China while the latter is found in Korea and parts of Japan.

white-naped crane

White-naped crane

The white-naped crane (Grus vipio) is a species of crane found in parts of Siberia, Mongolia, China, and North Korea. The white-naped crane is the largest crane in Asia with a wingspan of up to 2.6 meters (8.5 feet) and a body length of up to 1.8 meters (5.9 feet). The white-naped crane is listed as an endangered species by the IUCN with a population of only around 2,500 birds remaining in the wild. The primary threats to the white-naped crane are habitat loss and degradation due to agricultural development as well as hunting and poaching.

white-naped crane habitat

White-naped crane habitat

White-naped cranes inhabit the floodplains of rivers in east Asia. In China, they breed in the Zhalong Nature Reserve in Heilongjiang Province and winter on Poyang Lake. In Korea, they breed on the Cheorwon Plain and winter on the Han River estuary and on the west coast. In Russia, they breed on the Zeya River and winter on the Amur River. The total world population is estimated to be about 5,000 birds.

white-naped crane interesting facts

White-naped crane interesting facts

The white-naped crane is a large bird standing up to 1.8 m (5.9 ft) tall with a wingspan of 2.4–3 m (7.9–9.8 ft). It is one of the heaviest flying birds with males averaging 5 kg (11 lb) and females 4 kg (8.8 lb). The plumage is largely white with a grey back and wings and a red crown. The bare face is black and there is a large patch of bare red skin on the forehead and crown. The legs are greyish-black and the bill is black with a yellow tip. Juveniles are similar to adults but with greyer plumage and a smaller red crown patch.

White-naped crane physical description

The white-naped crane is a large bird measuring up to 1.8 m (5.9 ft) in height with a wingspan of 2.4–3 m (7.9–9.8 ft). The plumage is mostly grey with a white head and neck and red facial wattles. The average weight of an adult is 8–10 kg (18–22 lb) with males tending to be larger than females. These cranes have long legs and necks and can live up to 20 years in the wild. Their diet consists of plant matter such as roots tubers and insects.

white-naped crane size

White-naped crane size

The white-naped crane is a large bird measuring up to 1.2m in length with a wingspan of 2.4m The body plumage is mainly grey with a white head and neck and a red patch on the crown. The bill is black and the legs and feet are grey. The white-naped crane is found in east Asia breeding in northeast China Mongolia and far eastern Russia. The wintering range extends from central China to the Korean peninsula and southern Japan.

White-naped crane diet

The white-naped crane is an omnivore feeding on a variety of plant and animal matter. The crane’s diet consists of up to 85% plant matter including roots tubers bulbs rhizomes leaves stems and fruits. The remaining 15% of the diet is made up of invertebrates such as insects and earthworms and small vertebrates such as frogs lizards and snakes. In the winter months, the white-naped crane will supplement its diet with acorns and other nuts.

white-naped crane reproduction and development

White-naped crane reproduction and development

The white-naped crane (Grus vipio) is a species of crane found in parts of the Tibetan Plateau as well as Russia, Mongolia, China, and North Korea. The white-naped crane is a large bird with a wingspan of up to 2.5 m (8.2 ft) and a body length of up to 1.6 m (5.2 ft). The adult bird has a white head and neck with a black crown and back. The wings are black with a white wing bar and the tail is black with a white tip. The legs are grey. Juvenile birds are browner overall with a paler head and neck.

The white-naped crane breeds in wetland habitats such as marshes wet meadows and lakes. The nest is built on the ground usually among tall vegetation. Both parents help to incubate the eggs (usually 2-3 in number).

white-naped crane lifespan

White-naped crane lifespan

The white-naped crane has a lifespan of around 20 years in the wild and up to 40 years in captivity. These birds mate for life and generally stick to the same nesting and wintering grounds year after year. The female lays two eggs at a time but only one chick usually survives to adulthood. White-naped cranes are endangered due to habitat loss hunting and pollution.

Please follow and like us:
error20
fb-share-icon0
Tweet20

Leave a Comment